For aspirants and students of Islamic universities in Nigeria, there are number of rules you should be aware of. This is necessary in order to guide your actions while on campus.
A couple of Islamic universities are found in Nigeria, prominent of which are Al-HIkmah University in Kwara state, Crescent University in Ogun and Al-Qalam University in Katsina state.
The rules set by these schools are in accordance with teachings of Islam and are therefore enforced in the strictest terms irrespective of personal ideologies, origin, state or social status. Some of them are highlighted below.
- Every Muslim female student is expected to wear Hijab in public.
- It is prohibited for students to wear Jeans and dark glasses.
- Tight-fitting dresses are not allowed. Among these are the common see-through dresses ladies wear. This dress code also applies to the lecturers.
- Unequally-levelled haircuts are in vogue. Such stylish haircuts, including Galas, Obama and Tyson are not allowed in some Islamic universities while school is in session.
- Parties on Campus in some Islamic universities are not allowed. Students are also not allowed to attend parties outside the campus premises while school is in session.
- At Crescent University especially, flip-flops and sandals are frowned upon. Students and lecturers are expected to wear shoes at all times.
While all the rules above do not apply to every Islamic university, it is important for candidates seeking admission into any Islamic university to know them. In addition, search the school’s official news channel for more information on what is allowed and what is not.